- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. hot-pepper sauce (we used Tabasco)
- 9 saltine crackers, crushed (about 1/3 cup)
- 8 oz. lump crabmeat
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. capers, rinsed and chopped
- Heat broiler. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, mustard, and Tabasco; stir in the cracker crumbs.
- Add crab, scallion, 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, half the parsley and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and toss to combine. Shape the mixture into 1 1⁄2" cakes (each about 1⁄2" thick) and place on the prepared baking sheet. Put a thin pat of butter on top of each cake and broil until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers, and remaining lemon zest and parsley. Serve with the crab cakes.